Tuesday, December 15, 2009

More reviews from Amazon...

Another couple of reviews of The Runaway Pastor that I'd like for you to check out. The first is by a guy that is "many years removed from any participation in a church community."

The Runaway Pastor is a novel that provides a catalyst for discussion of what it means to be a pastor. The book led me to wonder what inspires--or calls--an individual to become a minister. As a person who has been many years removed from any participation in a church community, I have often wondered what keeps a person devoted to such a calling day after day. I admire the author, David Hayes, for writing a story that honestly portrays characters with serious flaws in their lives. So often, we look at people who have chosen lives of service as being infallible or nearly superhuman. For me, that applies equally to those who dedicate themselves to serve others in many other professions other than in the church.

Finally, I would say that the characters in this novel are believable and they keep you reading to see what becomes of them. With that said, I feel that there is more to this story that needs to be told. There were so many characters whose lives were intertwined with the story's central character, Trent Atkins. Although I admire the integrity and selflessness of Trent, I feel that his zealous quest for redemption affected so many people around him. As Trent continued his journey to 'find himself', I kept wondering what happened to all those people whose lives he influenced. Did he run away from them as well? Perhaps this is my own wishful thinking, but I would really like a sequel to this novel.
Jim from Illinois

I love this book. When I think of a pastor, I think of someone who has it all together, someone who listens to problems, someone who doesn't have problems. This book made pastors real people for me. I think everyone will be able to relate to this book. I love the characters, I love the way it was written. I can't say enough good things about it. It made me think about my own life and how at times I've wanted to run. And it left me wanting wanting more. Can't wait for the next. There better be a next! Elizabeth from Indiana

No comments: