Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Connecting

It's Tuesday night. This is the evening that my wife stays up north with my mother, between her Tuesday and Wednesday of work there. This is the night my daughter and her husband cook for me, and we enjoy some time together. And this is the night that, after hugs and good-byes, I am home alone.

After a Sunday of connecting and loving, I must be pretty intentional about down time. I need time to love and be loved by the Author of Love. I need to be recharged. But...

Isn't there just something addicting about connecting? We need human connections. Listen to the words I received in a recent email from an acquaintance:

As I took communion, I prayed, as always, that God's grace would cover the sins in my life. I sat back down, on the aisle, and wished that God could speak to me somehow and let me know he had not given up on me. Then, it happened. A tall, elderly lady in a turquoise dress walked down the aisle after taking communion. As far as I know, I have never seen her, nor she me. We did not make significant, if any, eye contact as she began to pass by me. As she passed me, however, she reached out her hand and laid it on my shoulder for a moment, in a gesture of tenderness and comfort, it seemed to me. I felt it was God's hand using her hand to tell me He is still there, loving me, pursuing me, waiting for me. It's one of those things that sounds so small, maybe, in the retelling, but I left church feeling that God had spoken to me personally, through the touch of that lady's hand.

Beautiful. The person and presence of Jesus offered through the touch of one of his own...who was sensitive enough to understand who needed Love's touch.

I can't get Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel's painting out of my mind right now...God's finger reaching and Adam's reaching and....CONTACT. I think I'll drop by facebook to see if there are any messages for me...

Where can you offer connection?

No comments: